Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Allergy, eating habits, and recent cooking


Recently, my parents imposed a semi-serious junk food ban on me. Prior to that, my standard eating pattern would be junk food for lunch/tea (depending on how late I wake up), junk food for dinner, junk food for supper. Junk food usually means Jagabee, TaoKaeNoi, Twisties, Cheezels, Pringles and other usually salty snacks.

Unfortunately, my body was attacked by some form of allergy some time around when I started blogging again (I talked about it briefly here). As mentioned before, the allergen is unknown, and I've seen three different doctors for it already, and each time I'm told a different thing.

The first one didn't even say anything and just prescribed me Prednisolone and Aerius, which only does the job when I'm on it. The second one told me there was a high chance it was a late development of a form of eczema (not the dry skin type, but just a rash type) and gave me the same two medicines. The third one said the chance of it being eczema is rather low, and it's more likely an allergy, and yes- gave me the same two medicines.

Tragically, I won't be able to determine the allergen for sure unless I go for some skin patch test. As far as I'm aware, I'm only allergic to certain types of prawns (something to do with freshwater or not), which I get from my father. My mother, on the other hand, is allergic to MSG, so they suspect I might be allergic to it too, despite never having a problem with it in large quantities all my life.

As such, my parents want me to detoxify my body by not taking MSG for awhile to see if my otherwise nearly-daily rash stops. And that's why I'm kinda banned from my previous eating pattern, and I'm supposed to eat normal food for some time.

With my laziness and general lifestyle, junk food is the most convenient thing to eat for meals because 1. I don't have to go out and buy freshly cooked stuff because I can stock it up, and 2. I don't have to cook (if I were to stock up ingredients on the other hand). Those are the main reasons why I've been having junk food for main meals for the past few months. But now that I have no choice, I've been eating regular meals lately. Two meals a day and all real food. Because I'm still too lazy to leave the house to get food, I've resorted to cooking.



The simplest solution is to make a few portions of onigiri to last 2-3 meals, refrigerate it, and microwave the next day etc. I did this twice a week for 5 meals' worth in total. So effortless to make, no skill required, and saves so much time. This is what my next 4 years are gonna be like when I have to feed myself.

Anyway, in case anyone doesn't know how to make onigiri, here's the recipe: mix furikake into cooked rice and shape however you like (conventionally triangular). Done.



Something else I cooked- instant pasta. I don't like pasta in general, but I do like this particular brand (can't remember what the name is) and flavour of instant carbonara. It's surprisingly troublesome, though, for instant food. It takes 7 minutes to cook which is fine and all, except that I need to be stirring it the entire 7 minutes or it'll burn and stick to the pot and make cleaning up insanely hard.

Interesting story about how I came to know of this pasta despite never eating pasta: I had to take first-hand photos of food for my 'O'-level Art coursework (the theme was "Food Hall"), so my mom bought and cooked this to take photos of. Someone had to finish the pasta after the photos were taken, and that's how I was forced to eat pasta and eventually came to like only this particular one.


I really don't know what the point of this post is other than to show off my nice, deco-ed cooked food photos. Anyway, back to the point of the allergy, the third doctor also said it could be an environmental factor too, so hopefully when I move to Japan, that environmental factor won't be present there and I won't be plagued by this horrible curse of a rash/allergy/eczema/whatever any longer.

IT'S AUGUST I'M LEAVING THIS MONTH D-MINUS 23

♡サニー☆

No comments:

Post a Comment